Are you looking to start losing weight today? If so, you’re in luck! In this blog post, we will outline weight loss workout for beginners. We’ll also provide some helpful tips on how to get started. So if you’re ready to finally shed those unwanted pounds, keep reading!
How Should a Beginner Start Working Out?
If you’re a beginner, it’s important to start out slow and gradually increase the intensity of your workouts. This will help your body adapt to the new activity level and reduce the risk of injury. A good way to start upping your activity is by walking for 30 minutes a day. This will increase your overall energy output for the week. If this is too easy for you, try adding in some light jogging or running.
As you become more comfortable with the exercise, you can start adding in other activities such as strength training, swimming, cycling, you name it. The important thing is to find an activity that you enjoy and stick with it. This will make working out much easier and more enjoyable which will help you stay on track with your weight loss goals.
What is the Best Weight Loss Workout for Beginners?
Low-intensity cardio is a great way to burn calories and lose weight if you are a beginner or have limitations. These workouts could include running, cycling, power walking, and swimming. As you get used to the new routine, start slow and gradually increase intensity over time.
Cardio Workouts for Beginners
Cardiovascular exercises (or simply cardio) increase your heart rate. Split your cardio into three shorter workouts per day if you are busy. For example, you could exercise 20 minutes before going to work, walk 20 minutes during lunch, and then do 20 minutes of exercise after dinner.
Weight loss workouts for beginners don’t have to be at high intensity to be effective. Low-intensity cardio is a great way to burn calories and lose weight if you are a beginner or have any limitations.
For five days per week, aim for 60 minutes of cardio at low intensity. You can carry weights while you jog, walk, or do aerobics to get more fit.
Jumping rope improves coordination and cognitive function. The intensity of this exercise elevates your heart rate, helping to burn approximately 1,300 calories an hour. This of course depends on a multitude of factors like weight, height, and fitness level.
- Warm up by doing 5 sets of 10-second jumps.
- Jump for approximately 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- Recover for between 15 and 30 seconds, then go back to the beginning.
- Finish 3-5 sets
- Gradually increase over time
It is possible to change up your routine. You can do one set of jumping on one leg, one set with jumping on both your legs, and one set of running in place.
Burpees combine pushups, jumps, and squats. This workout is effective because it burns fat and trains multiple muscle groups such as your chest, legs, and core. It’s a full-body workout so it burns a considerable amount of calories compared to isolation exercises.
Work hard for 30 seconds, then rest for 30 seconds. Repeat for 5 rounds and gradually increase over time.
Bodyweight Workout for Beginners
This workout is a great way to start strength training. It requires no equipment and can be done at home.
- Start by standing with your feet together and your arms at your sides.
- Jump up and spread your legs to be hip-width apart while bringing your arms up above your head.
- Jump back to the starting position.
- Repeat 20 times.
- Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Slowly lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Make sure your knees do not go past your toes.
- Pause for two seconds, then return to the starting position.
- Repeat 15 times.
- Start by lying on your stomach with your elbows bent and palms flat on the floor.
- Push up so that only your toes and elbows touch the ground.
- Contract your abs and hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat three times.
Strengthening Workouts for Beginners
Strength training helps you to tone your body, improve your posture, and boost your metabolism. These workouts can be done with or without weights.
This full-body, challenging workout will increase your heart rate, arm strength, leg strength, and help you build a strong core.
Do a 20-second two-handed kettlebell swing. For 8 seconds, you can rest. Repeat 8 times.
Pushups can be a great exercise to strengthen your core and increase muscle mass.
Start with three sets of 10 reps if you are a beginner. You can rest 60 to 90 seconds between each set. As your strength increases, you can gradually increase the number of reps.
Lunges are an excellent way to tone your legs and improve your balance. You can do this workout with or without weights.
- Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Step forward with one leg and lower your body until both knees are at 90-degree angles.
- Make sure your front knee is directly above your ankle and your back knee is not touching the ground.
- Push off with your front leg to return to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Do three sets of 12 repetitions on each side.
Muscle Building Workouts for Beginners
If you are looking to build muscle mass, these workouts are for you. Weightlifting helps to improve your strength and can be done with or without equipment.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Rest your arms at your sides.
- Bracing your core, keeping your neck neutral and chest up, bending your knees to the side, and pushing your hips forward as though you were going to sit on a chair. To ensure your arms are parallel to the ground, raise your arms in front.
- Pause when your thighs are parallel to each other. Push your heels up to return to the starting position.
- You can also do the curtsy squat, split squat, and goblet squat.
- Start by lying down on your back on a flat bench. Place your feet flat on the ground and keep your back pressed firmly against the bench.
- Use a medium-weight dumbbell in each hand and hold them at shoulder level with your palms facing forward.
- Press the dumbbells up above your chest, extending your arms fully.
- Lower the dumbbells back down to shoulder level, maintaining control throughout the entire range of motion.
- Repeat 10-12 times.
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and a barbell in your hands with your chosen weight, palms facing your thighs.
- Bend at your hips and knees to lower your torso until it’s almost parallel to the floor. Keep your back flat and let the weights hang down at arm’s length.
- From this position, drive your heels onto the floor and lift your torso and the weights up to return to the starting position.
- Repeat 10-12 times.
How can the NEAT lifestyle aid in weight loss?
NEAT stands for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis. Although it sounds complicated, it is really just a way to describe the energy required to do any daily activity other than sleeping or exercise.
You can do NEAT activities like walking your dog, cooking, shopping, gardening, using a standing desk, washing the car, or walking instead of using a vehicle. Integrating NEAT into your lifestyle is important because it can make up a large portion of your total energy expenditure or the number of calories you burn in a given day.
NEAT lifestyle has a lot of benefits. These low-impact forms of movement are good for both beginners and those more familiar with the exercise. These help to relieve stress, improve mental health, won’t interfere with other training or exercise you might be doing, and more.
Is a calorie-deficit diet important in weight loss?
Yes, it is an integral aspect of any weight loss program to be effective. Losing weight takes place if you eat right and do the right exercises. It is clear that exercise alone won’t make you lose weight. Diet is also important.
Healthy weight loss requires a daily deficit of 500 calories. It should allow you to lose approximately 1 pound per week based on the fact that you have at least 1,200 to 1,500 calories per day for women and 1,500 to 1,800 for men.
If you’re looking to lose weight, creating a calorie deficit is essential. And, combining a calorie deficit diet with exercise is often the best way to do it. By doing so, you’ll be able to reduce your calorie intake and burn more calories through physical activity, leading to weight loss.
How long after you start working out do you see results?
It is different for everyone, but you can typically see results after four to eight weeks of consistent exercise and a healthy diet. Remember to focus on form and quality over quantity. And always listen to your body! If something hurts, stop immediately. Weight loss and muscle gain are a journey, so enjoy the process.
Challenge yourself today! Book a Professional Performance Coach
Weight loss workout for beginners is a great way to start your fitness journey. A professional Perform coach will help you to set realistic goals, create a personalized workout plan, and support you every step of the way.
Perform Coaching specializes in male and female transformations with the following:
- Personalised Action Plan
- Customised Nutrition Plans
- Weekly Check-Ins
- Fully Bespoke Training Program
- Daily Support and Accountability
- A Thriving Community
- Exclusive Coaching Hub
As a beginner in the fitness journey, we know you have uncertainties and struggles. We want you to achieve your goal and we are ecstatic if we would be your guide in your workout routines.
To book a quick discovery phone call, click here. We are looking forward to supporting you in your weight loss journey.